• The plant (operated by a specialty food manufacturer, co-packer and private label resource company that produced organic, all-natural and gourmet foods) was closed in July 2014 after two food pathogen-related events resulting in voluntary product recalls.
• The decontamination treatment plan for the plant was developed in cooperation with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and included both PURE Hard Surface and PURE® Hi-Foam and Multi-Purpose Cleaner.
• PURE Hard Surface was extremely effective at eliminating Listeria from food processing and packaging equipment in the plant and its environment.
• The FDA cleared both the equipment and the facility for food production. The building owner can now engage new food producers and return to online production.
Hank R. Lambert, CEO, said that, “The use of our two SDC-based products to successfully eliminate Listeria in the contaminated and closed plant is yet another important validation of the unique and superior efficacy of our powerful antimicrobial. PURE’s ability to play a key role in the successful remediation of a plant closed due to ‘catastrophic pathogen-related food recalls’ is a perfect illustration of our core value proposition.
“Our laser focus on food safety has allowed PURE to play an important role as a solution to an industry- wide problem. While protecting consumers from food borne illness, we are helping companies protect their valuable brands, and avoid the major economic loss and damage resulting from a loss of consumer confidence.”
Lambert continued, “This real-world example underscores the unique significance and relevance of SDC as part of both sanitation maintenance and prevention programs.”
Pre and Post Treatment Contamination Levels
Post treatment sampling results (processed by independent third party Deibel Labs), showing all samples tested negative for Listeria, were provided to the FDA.
• The plant and equipment had been previously cleaned and sanitized using traditional treatments prior to the initiation of the reconditioning plan – however two pieces of processing equipment and a drain were then found to still be positive for Listeria.
• After completion of the remediation treatments which included multiple steps, including the application of the two PURE products, all 300 post treatment samples tested negative for Listeria.
• Citing the successful eradication of Listeria, the FDA issued a written release of the equipment and plant for manufacturing of FDA regulated products.
About PURE Bioscience, Inc.
PURE Bioscience, Inc. is focused on developing and commercializing our proprietary antimicrobial products primarily in the food safety arena -- providing solutions to the health and environmental challenges of pathogen and hygienic control. Our technology platform is based on patented stabilized ionic silver, and our initial products contain silver dihydrogen citrate, or SDC. SDC is a broad-spectrum, non-toxic antimicrobial agent, which offers 24-hour residual protection and formulates well with other compounds. As a platform technology, SDC is distinguished from existing products in the marketplace because of its superior efficacy, reduced toxicity and the inability of bacteria to form a resistance to it. PURE is headquartered in El Cajon, California (San Diego metropolitan area). Additional information on PURE is available at www.purebio.com.
Any statements contained in this press release that do not describe historical facts may constitute forward-looking statements as that term is defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements inherently involve risks and uncertainties that could cause our actual results to differ materially from the forward-looking statements. Factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include, but are not limited to, the Company’s cash position and liquidity requirements; the Company’s failure to implement or otherwise achieve the benefits of its proposed business initiatives and plans; acceptance of the Company's current and future products and services in the marketplace, including acceptance of the Company’s PURE Hard Surface disinfectant by SUBWAY® franchisees and the ability to convert successful evaluations into customer orders; the ability of the Company to develop effective new products and receive regulatory approvals of such products, including the required data and regulatory approvals to support the use of its SDC-based technology as a direct food contact processing aid; competitive factors; dependence upon third-party vendors, including to manufacture its products; and other risks detailed in the Company's periodic report filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our quarterly report on Form 10-Q filed on March 4, 2015. You should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this press release. By making these forward-looking statements, the Company undertakes no obligation to update these statements for revisions or changes after the date of this release.
Peter C. Wulff, CFO & COO
PURE Bioscience, Inc.